El Cajon is a city in San Diego County surrounded by gorgeous mountains, making it home to some of California’s most beautiful scenery. Whether you’re heading to one of the area’s many parks or to test your luck at the Sycuan Casino, you’ll need your car to be in great condition to get you there.
Every car needs a little bit of maintenance and care in order to continue operating in great condition, and having your car’s oil changed regularly is one of the best ways to keep it healthy for years to come. If your car shows signs that it may need an oil change, stop by the Service Center at Norm Reeves Toyota San Diego, and we’ll get it back in tip-top condition in no time.
Explore El Cajon
Explore the gorgeous botanical world of Southern California with a visit to the Water Conservation Garden. Here, you’ll be able to tour a variety of beautiful, curated gardens that are designed to be drought-tolerant. Classes are available to hone your own green thumb and learn how to have a gorgeous garden while still being drought-responsible.
Every weekday at 1:00 PM, visitors have the opportunity to take a tour of the Taylor Guitars Factory, taking you through the steps of guitar construction. The company was founded in 1974, and has grown to be the largest producer of quality acoustic guitars in the world. Thousands of professional artists have played and loved their Taylor Guitars, including Taylor Swift, Jason Mraz, and Zac Brown.
What Does Oil Do?
Oil serves a very important function in your vehicle, and can help you put off some Toyota repairs if the oil is changed regularly. Oil lubricates your metal engine components so they can function smoothly. These metal parts are constantly rubbing against each other, so the oil helps reduce the friction and heat by keeping them cool. Oil also cleans these parts by picking up debris flowing through the engine, and over time, the oil becomes dark, gritty, and less effective at lubricating the moving parts.
Forgoing the oil change is never a good idea because it can lead to some complications that would require some Toyota repairs down the road. Completely avoiding an oil change can lead your engine to seize up, and it will require some substantial repairs and even an engine replacement. That’s why it’s important to stay on top of the oil change, because it can help keep your vehicle healthy and performing at its best, beyond its mileage expectations.
Signs You Need an Oil Change
As a general rule, most cars will need to have their oil changed about every six months. There are plenty of warning signs that may appear if you’re in need of fresh oil, though, so pay attention for any of these issues…
- Loud engine noise: When your oil is clean, it lubricates all of your engine parts and protects metal from rubbing together. When your oil begins to break down, you’ll notice that your engine becomes much louder.
- Dark, dirty oil: Pull out that dipstick and check on the color of your oil; it should be clean and golden in color.
- Oil change or check engine light: When your oil change light or check engine light illuminates, bring your car in for service—you might need fresh oil!
- Exhaust smoke: Smoke coming from your car is never a good sign. Bring it in for service right away!
- Oil smell in the cabin: This is a BIG warning sign that your oil is burning, which can cause overheating and serious damage to your engine. There even is potential of a fire starting, so you should get your oil changed promptly.
- Sluggish Performance: You may notice that your vehicle doesn’t have the skip in its step like it used to, and this is usually a sign that you’ve got old oil and the engine parts aren’t being properly lubricated.
- Reduced Fuel Efficiency: When your engine components aren’t lubricated enough, they need more power to move, however, the result of this is that your vehicle burns up more fuel than it needs to.
How to Change Oil?
Since the oil change is one of the most common and repeated automotive services, some drivers have started to learn how to change oil on their own. The process isn’t too complicated, so long as you have the right tools and accessories. The steps are:
- Locate the drain plug
- Place container under the drain plug
- Remove oil filler cap and oil filter on the top of the engine.
- Empty the oil into drain container
- Pour new oil in and moisten the gasket for the new oil filter
- Wipe any excess oil off of engine
Even though the steps are simple, if you have any questions, you can visit our certified technicians at a Toyota Service Center; this way, the service can be performed by a professional and the old oil can be disposed of properly.
Express Oil Change at Our Toyota Service Center
While the oil change doesn’t take too long, if you’ve got a busy day, you can always drop by for an express oil change at our Toyota Service Center. The Toyota Express Maintenance includes a variety of important services in a quick visit. On top of the express oil change, your vehicle receives a brake inspection, a tire rotation, and all fluids are inspected and replenished if necessary. You can have your car taken care of with this quick and crucial service so you can continue your journey on the road.
Get Your Oil Change in El Cajon
If it’s been a while since your last oil change, or if you notice any of these warning signs coming from your vehicle, it’s time to bring it in for service. Contact Norm Reeves Toyota San Diego to schedule an appointment, and we’ll get your car back in pristine condition right away so it can continue its strong and efficient performance!